April 23 (UPI) — Joe Burrow and Tua Tagovailoa were the first quarterbacks selected in Thursday’s 2020 NFL Draft. Burrow — the No. 1 overall pick — will play for the Cincinnati Bengals. The Miami Dolphins picked Tagovailoa at No. 5.
“To jump to the No. 1 overall pick is crazy,” Burrow said. “It’s a dream come true.”
Ohio State teammates Chase Young and Jeff Okudah went with the No. 2 and No. 3 overall picks, respectively. Young will play for the Washington Redskins, while Okudah is headed to the Detroit Lions.
“This has been my entire family’s dream,” Tagovailoa said of being drafted. “I’m blessed to say that I carry all of them here with me.”
Georgia offensive tackle Andrew Thomas was the No. 4 overall pick. Thomas is headed to the New York Giants. Former Oregon star Justin Herbert was drafted immediately after Tagovailoa. Herbert will suit up for the Los Angeles Chargers.
The Carolina Panthers took Auburn defensive tackle Derrick Brown with the No. 7 overall pick. The Arizona Cardinals picked Clemson linebacker Isaiah Simmons at No. 8 overall.
Florida cornerback C.J. Henderson went to the Jacksonville Jaguars with the No. 9 pick. The Cleveland Browns rounded out the top-10 picks with Alabama offensive tackle Jedrick Wills.
“We were steadfast in who were going to take,” Bengals coach Zac Taylor said of Burrow. “We believed in the guy. There was nothing that could make us trade the pick away.”
Burrow completed 76.3 percent of his throws for 5,671 yards, 60 touchdowns and six interceptions in 2019-2020 for the national champion Tigers. The 2019 Heisman Trophy winner had been widely expected to be the first player drafted.
I just want to get teh ball rolling as far as understanding my plays. I want to build relationships with guys in the locker room.
The top college prospects sat with their families while at home during the unprecedented virtual draft. The annual public player selection process initially had been planned for Las Vegas, but was canceled due to the coronavirus pandemic.
The Raiders made their first-ever draft selection as the Las Vegas Raiders at No. 12 when they chose Alabama wide receiver Henry Ruggs III.
The Tampa Bay Buccaneers and San Francisco 49ers made the first trade of the draft. Tampa Bay selected Iowa offensive tackle Tristan Wirfs with the No. 13 pick. The 49ers took South Carolina defensive tackle Javon Kinlaw with the next pick.
The Dolphins have the most picks in the first round, with selections 5, 18 and 26. The San Francisco 49ers and Jacksonville Jaguars each have two first-round picks.
The Denver Broncos now are on the clock.
2020 NFL Draft results
1. Cincinnati Bengals: LSU quarterback Joe Burrow
2. Washington Redskins: Ohio State defensive end Chase Young
3. Detroit Lions: Ohio State defensive back Jeffrey Okudah
4. New York Giants: Georgia offensive tackle Andrew Thomas
5. Miami Dolphins: Alabama quarterback Tua Tagovailoa
6. Los Angeles Chargers: Oregon quarterback Justin Herbert
7. Carolina Panthers: Auburn defensive tackle Derrick Brown
8. Arizona Cardinals: Clemson linebacker Isaiah Simmons
9. Jacksonville Jaguars: Florida cornerback C.J. Henderson
10. Cleveland Browns: Alabama offensive tackle Jedrick Wills
11. New York Jets: Louisville offensive tackle Mekhi Becton
12. Las Vegas Raiders: Alabama wide receiver Henry Ruggs III
13. Tampa Bay Buccaneers (traded from San Francisco 49ers): Iowa offensive tackle Tristan Wirfs
14. San Francisco 49ers (from Tampa Bay Buccaneers): South Carolina defensive tackle Javon Kinlaw
15. Denver Broncos
16. Atlanta Falcons
17. Dallas Cowboys
18. Miami Dolphins
19. Las Vegas Raiders
20. Jacksonville Jaguars
21. Philadelphia Eagles
22. Minnesota Vikings
23. New England Patriots
24. New Orleans Saints
25. Minnesota Vikings
26. Miami Dolphins
27. Seattle Seahawks
28. Baltimore Ravens
29. Tennessee Titans
30. Green Bay Packers
31. San Francisco 49ers
32. Kansas City Chiefs